Monday, June 18, 2007

His Big Heart...

Is getting bigger. Oh Austin! I went out to feed the Cabana kitties this morning, and began to count heads, and came up one short. Uh oh. The search was on to find Austin, who was "missing in action" from the breakfast brigade. I found him, laying in the yard, in the sprinklers. Uh oh...

After a hurried serving of breakfast, a quick search for the "big carrier" (he's no tiny boy) he was off with me to work. This is when my profession comes in handy, as does the generosity of the veterinarians I work with. Dr. Slusser, our Internist & Dr. Farrell his associate, both looked at Austin. We did some bloodwork and a urinalysis, which all looked pretty good.

Nothing explained his sudden change. Until we did an ultrasound of his heart. We know that Austin has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) which is why he's with us. In the back of my mind is the fact that someday, he will be in heart failure as a natural progression of his disease. I did not ever guess it would be so soon. While most of his heart hadn't changed much from the ultrasound of October 2006, his left atrium is now huge. He's on the "brink" of left-sided heart failure.

He now has a new medication regime - one that I'm sure many human heart patients can appreciate. He is taking Enalapril (an ACE inhibitor) twice a day, Diltiazem (a calcium channel blocker) once a day, a small amount of baby aspirin twice a week (to prevent blood clots), and now Lasix (a diuretic) every other day. He'll also be on Clavamox, an antibiotic, for a week just to cover all bases.

I haven't broken the news to him yet, but he also now will need monthly bloodwork for a while to monitor his kidney values, thanks to the addition of Lasix. I'll post updates on the blog as we go along and let you know how he does ~ for now, tonight, after a dose of Lasix, he feels good enough to have dinner and cruise the yard. Whew!

No comments: