Thursday, July 05, 2007

Sutures & A Late Night...

For Scooter (& me!). Scooter suffered yet another rectal prolapse tonight. When I knew that I couldn't reduce it alone, I asked our general practitioner Dr. Booman for help. She "put everything back" and then placed a pursestring suture, designed to close up an opening. This was truly the worst episode he's had, and it required a light anesthetic so he was "loopy" enough for us to put everything back in place. A light anesthetic kept Scooter from pushing against us (and his colon) & he's recovering well tonight as I write this.

For Scooter, the pursestring's purpose is to help keep his colon on the inside while all swelling subsides and the motility in his gut returns to normal (for him!). And once again we try to figure out what diet & medication combo will prevent future episodes. (Sigh) It's been a tough road for this little guy!

No comments: